The rise and fall of the British Empire / Британская империя
The British Isles have a very convenient position where many sea-routes cross. So, in the 17th century Britain was the "workshop of the world" as well as "the mistress of the seas".
There are several periods in the British history that got their names from different monarchs. For example, the 18th and the first half of the 19th centuries were called the Georgian period, because all the kings who ruled during that time were named George.
The Victorian period got its name after Queen Victoria who ruled the country for 64 years (1837-1901). These two periods were glorious for Britain because it got a lot of colonies — large territories in India, Australia, America and Africa. But some of the colonies which were dependent on the British Empire were self-governing dominions. Among them were Canada, Australia and New Zealand. For other countries Britain appointed a monarch.
At those times Britain ruled over one quarter of the Earth.
In the 19th century the United States and Germany were growing in power and Britain began to lose its position. And the colonial population began to struggle for independence.
In 1947 Britain lost its first two colonies - India and Pakistan. But nobody in the ruling class of Britain wanted to lose control over their colonies. So, the former members of the British Empire were united in an association called the Commonwealth of Nations. It was in 1949. The Commonwealth includes Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and others.
The Queen of Great Britain is the Head of the Commonwealth. Queen Elizabeth II is also the Queen of Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
► Читайте также другие темы раздела "Some historical facts about Great Britain / Некоторые исторические факты о Великобритании":
- The Tribes of Celts / Некоторые исторические факты о Великобритании. Племена кельтов
- Romans Invade Britain / Вторжения Римлян в Великобританию
- The Anglo-Saxon Conquest of Britain / Завоевание Англии Англо-саксами
- Danish Invaders in England. Vikings on the British Isles / Датчане захватывают Англию. Викинги на Британских островах
- The Norman Conquest of England / Нормандское завоевание Англии
- Robin Hood / Робин Гуд
- What is the doomsday Book? / Книга страшного суда
- The Peasants’ Revolt in the 14th century. Britain in the Middle Ages / Англия в средние века
- The Plague / Чума в Англии
- The rise and fall of the British Empire / Британская империя
► Перейти к оглавлению книги Страноведческий справочник. Топики (темы) о Великобритании на английском языке